So, you have started to use online payment. You might have installed Google Pay. And, now you want to use UPI for online shopping as well. But wait! It is asking for the UPI ID! What is this ID? You could not find the UPI ID. Is there a way to find UPI ID in Google Pay? And can you change the UPI ID?
Friends, In this post, I would tell you a very smart way to find out your Google Pay ID. You would also learn the easy way to change it.
Table Of Content
- Who Made the UPI ID in Google Pay?
- The Smart Way to Find your UPI ID
- How To Change UPI ID in Google Pay
- Steps to Find out UPI ID in Google Pay
- Steps to Change UPI ID in the Google Pay App
- Very Important Facts About UPI ID
Who Made the UPI ID in Google Pay?
The UPI ID is similar to the Gmail ID. But, in the Gmail, you yourself make your email ID. Whereas in the Google Pay app, you do not make the UPI ID.
So, who made your UPI ID? And Why are you not aware?
Friends, The Google Pay itself makes UPI ID for you. That is why you remain unaware of it. But, you should not complain about it. Because of this automated process, the UPI Payment System has been easier for you.
Initially, UPI Apps have given you the freedom to make your own UPI ID similar to the email ID. But later, most of the apps allotted UPI ID itself. The Paytm, Phonepe, BHIM also allot UPI ID for its users.
The Smart Way to Find your UPI ID
Google Pay and other apps use your unique information to set UPI ID for you. The Google Pay used your Gmail ID to make UPI ID.
On the other hand, Paytm, Phonepe and BHIM use your mobile number to create UPI ID for you.
So, Google Pay uses your Gmail ID. But not the full ID. Rather, it picks the first part of your Gmail ID to make the UPI ID.
Along with the first part of your Gmail ID, Google Pay also adds a suffix. This can be any of the four suffixes. Following are the 4 suffixes, used in the Google Pay UPI ID.
Since, Google Pay has collaborated with the Axis Bank, SBI, ICICI Bank and HDFC Bank that is why it uses the suffix of these banks. If your UPI ID contains the SBI, it means you are taking services of SBI for the UPI Payment.
Google Pay does not give banking service, therefore it had to make an arrangement with the banks.
So, after adding one of the suffixes your UPI ID would be any one of the following
How To Change UPI ID in Google Pay
The Google Pay neither gives you the liberty to create your own UPI ID Nor it gives full liberty to change it. However, you would have 4 options of UPI ID.
In fact, you can change the suffix part in your UPI ID. You can choose any of the four available suffixes for your UPI ID. Thus, your prefix part would remain the same.
Note, the suffix part of your UPI ID decides the bank through which your UPI Payment goes through. Hence, if your UPI ID is [email protected], your UPI Payment would go through the servers of SBI.
Steps to Find out UPI ID in Google Pay
Now, I would tell you the steps to find out your UPI ID in the Google Pay App.
- Open your Google pay App by using password or fingerprint.
- In the dashboard i. e. homepage look at the top right corner. You would see either your photo or the first letter of your name.
- Tap on the image or on the Letter. It would open your Profile Page.
- In the Profile Page, you would see your UPI ID just after your name and mobile number. You can check that the UPI ID is derived from your Gmail ID.
Write down this UPI ID to use it for online shopping. You have to also give this UPI ID while recharging your mobile number through the My Jio App.
Steps to Change UPI ID in the Google Pay App
Now I Would tell you the steps to change the UPI ID in the Google Pay app. As I have told that you can only change the suffix part.
- Open your Google Pay app and tap on your image at the top right corner. There can be the first letter of your name instead of the image. It opens the profile page.
- In the profile page tap on the bank account Number. Now, the page for Bank account number opens. In this page all of your linked bank account would appear.
- Now tap on the Primary bank account number. The ‘primary’ would be written in front of the bank account. If you have linked only one bank account number, there would be only one account number. So tap on that number.
- Now, tap on the edit icon present along with your name.
- Now you would see 4 options of the UPI ID. You can choose the desired one. Tap on the plus sign of the desired UPI ID.
- As you tap, you have to go through the verification.
- After the successful verification, you would have other UPI ID. You can use the new UPI ID along with the old one. But if you want to discard the old UPI ID, you can delete it by tapping on the trash bin icon.
You can have up to 4 UPI IDs at the same time. There must be at least one UPI ID for the functioning of the UPI Payment system.
Very Important Facts About UPI ID
In this post, I have told you the way to find out your UPI ID in Google Pay. I have also told you the steps to Change UPI ID. Now, I have some very important facts about the UPI ID. You must spare a few seconds for this information.
Friends, If we want to pay money to a bank account, we should tell the bank account number and IFSC code of the bank branch. This ensures that your money goes in the correct account.
But, sharing bank account details to get money is not very safe. Also, often people don’t remember their account details so it becomes difficult to get money.
The UPI ID has solved this problem. UPI ID can be used in place of your bank account number and IFSC. It is linked to your Bank account.
Thus when we send money to a UPI ID, the system finds out the bank account details and money is redirected to the linked bank account.
So, because of the UPI ID, your bank account details do not get exposed. Also, you can very easily remember your UPI ID. Since most of the UPI apps use your phone number for the UPI ID, you can very easily remember it.
The UPI ID also gives you the facility to request money. You can ask money from someone by using his/her UPI ID.
Friends, I hope you would have found this post useful. Now you know the way to UPI ID. You also know the method to change your linked UPI ID.